I. Light In The Darkness
After three months we set sail in a ship that had wintered in the island, a ship of Alexandria, with the twin gods as a figurehead.
for you shall worship no other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God
We have a choice to make regarding culture:
A. Be in the World but not of it
14 I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they are not of the world,just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be sanctified in truth.
B. Be a light in the darkness
14 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Our mission is to carry a never changing Gospel to an ever changing world
II. Lighten Your Load
12 Putting in at Syracuse, we stayed there for three days. 13 And from there we made a circuit and arrived at Rhegium. And after one day a south wind sprang up, and on the second day we came to Puteoli. 14 There we found brothers and were invited to stay with them for seven days. And so we came to Rome. 15 And the brothers there, when they heard about us, came as far as the Forum of Appius and Three Taverns to meet us. On seeing them, Paul thanked God and took courage.
5 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
What does the Bible say about discouragement?
1 Peter 5:7
Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
You are not alone
III. Looks Like We Made It
And when we came into Rome, Paul was allowed to stay by himself, with the soldier who guarded him.
1 Corinthians 15:31
I protest, brothers, by my pride in you, which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!
You only really make it when you follow Jesus
- Today, I put my trust in Jesus and make Him the King of my life.
- Daily, I will submit to this authority of King Jesus.
- Weekly, I will choose to live life in community with a LifeGroup.
- Read John 17:14-19. We are to relate the Gospel to everyday life. How can we connect with culture in a way that proclaims the hope of Jesus while not compromising biblical truths.
- Read the following references and discuss how God provides hope and peace when you feel discouraged? Specifically describe what this looks like in your life. John 16:33. Joshua 1:9. 1 Peter 5:7. Isaiah 41:10.
- 1 Corinthians 15:31 describes Paul’s commitment to live a daily life of submission to Christ. What should this look like in our every day prayer life and decision making?
- Who is your favorite superhero and what do you know about their origin story? More importantly, reflect on your origin story of sin before you put your trust in Jesus.
- Read Ephesians 2:4-5. What does it tell us about God when He showed us grace even in our sin?
- God has called us to good works. How can we live out Ephesians 2:10 and show His love to others?