March 19, 2023
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. To Know and Be Known
Formerly, when you did not know God, you were enslaved to those that by nature are not gods. But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God
II. Don’t Go That Way
how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more? 10 You observe days and months and seasons and years!
Colossians 2:16 – 17
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord. The one who eats, eats in honor of the Lord, since he gives thanks to God, while the one who abstains, abstains in honor of the Lord and gives thanks to God.
Rather than captives of religion, we are children in a relationship with God.
III. Throw in the Towel?
I am afraid I may have labored over you in vain.
- I confess my sin and turn to Jesus as my King for the first time.
- I choose to acknowledge God knows me and has my best interest at heart.
- I commit to serving out of love and not to keep a checklist.
- What does it mean to live as a child in a relationship not trapped by religion?
- Read Galatians 4:8-11. What could it look like to rely on the Law for salvation?
- How does this contradict the Gospel?
- Read Exodus 12:5-7, 12-14. How did God reveal the Passover to Israel?
- Is there any connection between Passover and Lord’s Supper?
- What is your most memorable Communion experience? Why?