Who we take advice from matters! Their level of experience and expertise can move us to act with a level of faith and even be willing to do extreme adventures for the first time. For example, I’ve successfully zip-lined in Costa Rica and in South Atlanta at professional courses, with pro-grade equipment, and with experienced guides. Both resulted in an exhilarating and safe memory.
Comparatively, I once zip-lined out of a treehouse as a kid on a homemade zip line with no harness, no safety cable, and we literally tried to hold on to a metal pipe sliding on a metal cable. Needless to say, friction causes heat and a hot lead pipe is hard to hold on to. Lesson learned that day for sure! Just because someone tells you it is a good idea, doesn’t mean that it is a good idea.
I’m sure you have stories similar to mine, but none of us have stories compared to what God told Abraham to do in Genesis 22. In a test of faith, Abraham was to take his only son, the son of the promise, to the top of a mountain and sacrifice him. So many layers to this story compel us to walk by faith. For the purpose of this letter, I urge you to consider Abraham’s faith was not in his own courage but in his confidence in the one who gave him the test.
He knew God would keep His promise, no matter what. He would provide a sacrifice or He would raise Isaac back to life, but either way both Abraham and Isaac would be returning home together.
We find motivation in Abraham’s example, but we should more so find encouragement in God’s faithfulness. No matter how extreme it may sound, when God speaks we should act. He will keep His word. He can be trusted.
Too often we listen to the friends, like mine as a child, who work to create their own plans that look close to what God may want but it relies on man’s ability and will ultimately result in our failure. Instead, we must prayerfully listen to what God is saying and follow Him exclusively.
You may not be asked to jump out of a tree onto a zip line. Instead, you may be asked to live off of 90% of your income and give away the other 10%. You may be asked to go on a mission trip to advance God’s Kingdom. You may be asked to boldly proclaim the Gospel to your teammates or co-workers. You may be asked to humbly submit to others and even turn the other cheek. No matter what, do what God says and watch Him do what only He can do.