May 24, 2020
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. March To the Beat of a Different Drum
17 Now this I say and testify in the Lord, that you must no longer walk as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds. 18 They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart. 19 They have become callous and have given themselves up to sensuality, greedy to practice every kind of impurity.
The rhythm of the world leads to:
The World We Live In Doesn’t Define The Way We Live
II. Make a Big Deal Out of Jesus
20 But that is not the way you learned Christ!—21 assuming that you have heard about him and were taught in him, as the truth is in Jesus
Truth Apart From Christ Is Unstable
III. Measure Growth By Markers Of Change
22 to put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, 23 and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, 24 and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. 2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Growth Equals Change
- I choose to put my trust in Jesus as my King, once and for all.
- I commit to daily renew my mind in my desire to pursue Jesus through spiritual discipline.
- I repent of my sin of following old habits and will make changes today.
- Ephesians 4:17-19 describes a culture that puts self first and feeds sinful desire. How can we live a holy life in a world that celebrates sin?
- In Ephesians 4:20-21, Paul assumes that the readers have put their trust in Christ. Don’t assume this of your friends. Share your faith story with others, and encourage them to share their faith story with you.
- Ephesians 4:22-24 describes the importance of daily renewal. Describe your daily spiritual discipline and discuss who personal accountability can be beneficial.
- Truth creates a standard to build off of and this is implied in Ephesians 4:25. Discuss as a family why it is important to value truth in your relationships.
- Read Ephesians 4:26-27 and discuss why it is important to resolve anger with each other before you go to bed? What family rules should be practiced to guard this.
- Read Matthew 18:21-22 and discuss what it teaches about forgiving one another.