November 26, 2023
Pastor Ricky Smith
And the Lord said, “You pity the plant, for which you did not labor, nor did you make it grow, which came into being in a night and perished in a night. And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left, and also much cattle?”
I. Compare and Contrast is Not Just a Game
We Cannot Care About the Other Things God Created More Than Those He Made to Bear His Image.
II. God’s Patient Love Asks Honest Questions
God did not save us to passively watch the wicked perish.
III. Take a Long Hard Look in the Mirror
Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered him, saying, “Teacher, we wish to see a sign from you.” But he answered them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah. For just as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. The men of Nineveh will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and behold, something greater than Jonah is here. The queen of the South will rise up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon, and behold, something greater than Solomon is here.
- I confess my sin and turn to Jesus as King for the first time.
- I have resisted telling others about Jesus and commit to change.
- I choose to trust God with His will for my life and focus on eternal things.
- Read Matthew 12:38-41. How significant was Jonah to Jesus’ mission?
- Search online “unreached people groups” and explore the nations who need the Gospel.
- What can you actively do to help share the Gospel with your neighbor and the nations?
- Can you name a promise that God has kept?
- Read Numbers 23:19. What can you learn about God and His promises?