October 15, 2023
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Your Idols Can’t Compare to God
Those who pay regard to vain idols forsake their hope of steadfast love.
Stop Expecting Something God Does from Something that Will Never Be God.
A. Where Do I Turn When I’m in Need?
B. Am I Willing to Sin in order to Acquire or Keep This Thing?
C. Are My Emotions in Relationship to This Thing Heightened?
II. Salvation Is From God Alone
But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the Lord!”
God Hears Us We Cry, Sees Us in Our Despair, and Saves Us with His Amazing Grace
After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!”
III. Death to Life
And the Lord spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land
- I confess my sin and turn to Jesus as King for the first time
- I choose to share the hope of life in Christ to others this week.
- I confess that good things have become god things in my life.
- How do Jonah 2:10 and Genesis 1 remind us of God’s power over creation?
- Read Revelation 7:9-10 and discuss the power of God’s salvation.
- If salvation belongs to God, why are we so prone to pursue idols?
- Have you ever been given a second chance after failure? Explain.
- How has receiving God’s mercy changed you?
- Read and discuss Hebrews 4:15-16 as it relates to God’s mercy.