March 21, 2021
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. The Incarnation Is Perfect for Us
Since therefore the children share in flesh and blood, he himself likewise partook of the same things, that through death he might destroy the one who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and deliver all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong slavery. For surely it is not angels that he helps, but he helps the offspring of Abraham.
A. Destroy the Devil
1 John 3:8b
The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.
B. Deliver Men From the Control of Sin
C. Define Death Differently
II. The Incarnation Is Messy for Us
Therefore he had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that he might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.
BREAKING NEWS: Jesus came to die so that you don’t have to
- I put my trust in Jesus as my Savior and King for the first time.
- I choose to rely on Jesus for victory in the habits of sin.
- I commit to study His life to better follow His example.
- Read Hebrews 2:14-15 and discuss why we fear death if Jesus has defined it as a passage to eternal life.
- Read Hebrews 4:15. How should we live differently knowing that Jesus models how we should live?
- Share the difference Jesus has made in your everyday life.
- Who is your favorite hero in the Bible? What attributes make this person great? How do they fall short though, in comparison to Jesus?
- People will sometimes ask what is “your calling in life?” Do you know what your “calling” is? How do you describe it?
- What is a working definition of holy? How might it benefit you to see yourself as “holy”?