Sunday, July 12, 2020
Pastor Ricky Smith
Joshua 4:1-8 (ESV)
When all the nation had finished passing over the Jordan, the Lord said to Joshua, 2 “Take twelve men from the people, from each tribe a man, 3 and command them, saying, ‘Take twelve stones from here out of the midst of the Jordan, from the very place where the priests’ feet stood firmly, and bring them over with you and lay them down in the place where you lodge tonight.’” 4 Then Joshua called the twelve men from the people of Israel, whom he had appointed, a man from each tribe. 5 And Joshua said to them, “Pass on before the ark of the Lord your God into the midst of the Jordan, and take up each of you a stone upon his shoulder, according to the number of the tribes of the people of Israel, 6 that this may be a sign among you. When your children ask in time to come, ‘What do those stones mean to you?’ 7 then you shall tell them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the Lord. When it passed over the Jordan, the waters of the Jordan were cut off. So these stones shall be to the people of Israel a memorial forever.” 8 And the people of Israel did just as Joshua commanded and took up twelve stones out of the midst of the Jordan, according to the number of the tribes of the people of Israel, just as the Lord told Joshua. And they carried them over with them to the place where they lodged and laid them down there.
1. Remembering God’s faithfulness
2. Teaching God’s faithfulness
3. Looking to God’s faithfulness for stability
Our Unshakeable Problem Can Reveal His Unstoppable Power
1 Peter 2:1-4
1 Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,3 now that you have tasted that the Lord is good. 4 As you come to him, the living Stone—rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him—5 you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.
Your Life is marked by stones of transformational change (like salvation)
Your Life is marked by stones of continual change (like freedom, and maturity)
Your Life is marked by stones of a change agent (like mentoring and discipling)
The Faithfulness Of God In The Past Will Give You Peace In The Present
- Put your trust in Jesus as the King of your life for the first time.
- Reflect and write down moments of His revealed faithfulness in your life.
- Repent of worry and doubt and trust Him fully with my “next”.
- Read Joshua 4:1-8. Discuss why these standing stones were important for future generations.
- Share personal moments where God has shown Himself faithful to you.
- Why do we doubt God’s provision in the present when He has proven Himself faithful in the past?
- Share as a family what you have experienced in 2020 that has caused you to be afraid and even question God.
- Read 1 Peter 2:8-9 and discuss why it matters that the church is a God’s chosen people.
- How should my view of God impact how I live and how I point others to Him?