September 11, 2022
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Relationship is the Starting Point
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. “You shall have no other gods before me.
God’s words are for our good because He is good.
II. We Love Him Above All
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
III. We Carry His Name
“You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
Taking His name in vain is more than just the words you say
- I confess my sin and turn to God to begin a relationship with Him.
- I confess I am not loving God and loving others as I should.
- I choose to bear His name accurately this week in my words and actions.
- How does loving God but not loving others lead to fruitless living?
- Read Mark 12:28-34 and discuss what it means to love God and love our neighbor.
- How can our actions better reflect His image to a world seeking hope and purpose?
- What’s easier? Working or resting? Do you enjoy working?
- How’s your rhythm of life? What do you need to do about it? Are you keeping a healthy schedule?
- Read Matthew 12:12. What does this say about the priority of our mission over methods?