Pastor Ricky Smith
September 25, 2022
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. You shall not murder. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not steal. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.
I. Our Vertical Focus Impacts our Horizontal Relationships
Calvary is a devoted family who loves God and loves our neighbor
II. The Family is the Starting Point
III. Honor the Dignity of Humanity
A. We don’t murder – because God gives life (1 Timothy 6:13)
B. We don’t commit adultery – because God is faithful (1 Corinthians 1:9)
C. We don’t steal – because God is trustworthy (Proverbs 3:5)
D. We don’t lie – because God is truth (John 14:6)
E. We don’t desire what others have – because God is sufficient (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
Who We Worship Affects How We Live and What We Want
- I repent of my sin and turn to Jesus as my Savior and King.
- I commit to strengthening my family to reflect God’s love.
- I choose to honor the dignity of others in how I speak, live, and love.
- Read John 14:6. If Jesus is truth, how does that validate the command not to lie?
- Since we are made in God’s image, how should that impact the way we love those we disagree with?
- How does our desire for God define our values?
- How do we learn what is right and wrong?
- What does it mean to fear the Lord?
- Read Psalm 25:14 and discuss how our friendship with God relates to our fear of God.