October 2, 2022
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. React Out of Fear
Now when all the people saw the thunder and the flashes of lightning and the sound of the trumpet and the mountain smoking, the people were afraid and trembled, and they stood far off and said to Moses, “You speak to us, and we will listen; but do not let God speak to us, lest we die.”
God’s Presence Shows Us How Holy He is, and Reveals to Us How Holy We Aren’t
II. Two Sides to Fear
Moses said to the people, “Do not fear, for God has come to test you, that the fear of him may be before you, that you may not sin.”
The Natural Response of a Sinful Person Before Holy God is to Tremble
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed. He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel. The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. He will not always chide, nor will he keep his anger forever. He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.
III. Find Peace Through the Mediator
The people stood far off, while Moses drew near to the thick darkness where God was.
The Holiness of God and His Word Show Us Our Need for A Mediator
Therefore he is the mediator of a new covenant, so that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance, since a death has occurred that redeems them from the transgressions committed under the first covenant.
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes known to them his covenant.
- I see my sin and come to Jesus to declare Him as King for the first time
- I acknowledge the holiness of God that gives me cause to celebrate Jesus’ work on the cross.
- I confess that I am walking in sin now and respond to God’s holiness by repenting.
- Read Psalm 103. How should we respond to the truth that God does not hold our sin against His children?
- Read 1 John 4:18. How does our position in Christ lead us to live by faith and not fear?
- Read Hebrews 9:15. How is our future secure with Jesus as our mediator?
- What is worship? And why is it important?
- What are the essential elements of Godly worship?
- Read Romans 12:1-2. How do we live a life of worship?