May 16, 2021
Pastor Ricky Smith
For every high priest chosen from among men is appointed to act on behalf of men in relation to God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He can deal gently with the ignorant and wayward, since he himself is beset with weakness. Because of this he is obligated to offer sacrifice for his own sins just as he does for those of the people. And no one takes this honor for himself, but only when called by God, just as Aaron was.
I. All of Us Have Sinned
II. A Representative Is Required
A. RELATABLE to the ignorant, wayward, and infirmed
B. RESOURCEFUL to facilitate worship
III. Qualified Selection
Now the point in what we are saying is this: we have such a high priest, one who is seated at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, a minister in the holy places, in the true tent that the Lord set up, not man. For every high priest is appointed to offer gifts and sacrifices; thus it is necessary for this priest also to have something to offer. Now if he were on earth, he would not be a priest at all, since there are priests who offer gifts according to the law. They serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things. For when Moses was about to erect the tent, he was instructed by God, saying, “See that you make everything according to the pattern that was shown you on the mountain.” But as it is, Christ has obtained a ministry that is as much more excellent than the old as the covenant he mediates is better, since it is enacted on better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion to look for a second.
Jesus was our sacrifice so we are a living sacrifice every day.
- I confess and repent of my sin and trust Jesus as my Savior and King.
- I rest in Jesus as my Priest who carries my pain.
- I walk in confidence with Jesus to carry hope by talking about Him to others.
- Read Hebrews 8:1-7 and discuss how Jesus built off of an old system to reveal His love for us.
- If Jesus is our High Priest forever, how does this impact our confidence and boldness?
- How does my sin remind me of my need for a High Priest and Savior? Read Hebrews 5:1-4.
- Read John 8:50 and discuss why Jesus modeled obedience to God.
- Read Psalm 22:24. Why did it matter that God heard the cries of Jesus?
- Describe how you would like your prayer life to improve.