April 18, 2021
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Urgency of the Mission
Therefore, while the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us fear lest any of you should seem to have failed to reach it. For good news came to us just as to them, but the message they heard did not benefit them, because they were not united by faith with those who listened.
A. Everyone will live forever
B. Express thanks for Good News
C. Experience peace by faith
Rest in God is both a future expectation and a present reality
II. Promise of the Message
For we who have believed enter that rest, as he has said, “As I swore in my wrath, ‘They shall not enter my rest,’ ” although his works were finished from the foundation of the world. For he has somewhere spoken of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all his works.” And again in this passage he said, “They shall not enter my rest.”
A. God’s rest can only be accessed one way
For the wages of sin is death…
Belief + Trust = Peace
B. God’s promises are eternally true
1. Peace with God
Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Peace of God
do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Walk in freedom by resting in Jesus
- Today I confess Jesus as my Savior and King for the first time.
- Today I commit to rest in the peace of God and walk in freedom.
- Today I choose to live with urgency and will proclaim the Gospel.
- Read Romans 6:23. What do we deserve, but what has God provided?
- If God offers peace, why do we fear? Read Philippians 4:6-8 and discuss how the peace of God can be experienced.
- Read Psalm 56:11. How can we live in confidence over fear?
- What does Sabbath day mean, and why is it important? Read Exodus 20:8-11.
- Share a decision you once made that you regret, and why.
- Why do we tend to allow temporary things, like possessions or hobbies, to shape our identity?