August 8, 2021
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Warning! Warning! Warning!
For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries. Anyone who has set aside the law of Moses dies without mercy on the evidence of two or three witnesses.
II. Put on Your Thinking Cap
How much worse punishment, do you think, will be deserved by the one who has trampled underfoot the Son of God, and has profaned the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified, and has outraged the Spirit of grace?
The Fulness of the Gospel Forces Us to See God’s Wrath and the Witness of the Gospel Allows Us to Experience His Love.
III. The Living God Makes the Difference
For we know him who said, “Vengeance is mine; I will repay.” And again, “The Lord will judge his people.” It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
“The cross centers on God’s divine satisfaction through divine substitution.” – John Stott
1 Thessalonians 1:10
and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.
- I confess and repent of my sin and trust my life to the Living God for the first time.
- I commit to love God with my mind and study His Word this week.
- I will carry hope to ________ this week.
- Do conversations about the Lord’s return cause you to get excited or afraid? Why?
- How does the love of God resolve His righteous anger? Read Romans 3:21-26.
- Why should the church rally on mission of the Gospel for the lost in our community?
- How do our personal stories of salvation and baptism impact the lives of others? Would you share yours?
- Read Hebrews 10:32-34 and discuss how a church family can help us endure hardship.
- How can we overcome the temptation to quit when circumstances are challenging?