October 4, 2020
Pastor Ricky Smith
1. Your Journey Is Not a Surprise
1 Peter 1:1-2
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood:
God’s Plan Provides Purpose For Pain Notice Three Elements of This Journey:
2. His Journey Made For Our Best Day
1 Peter 1:3-4
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you
Present Circumstances Do Not Determine Our Future
3. Our Journey Is Secure In The Present And The Future
1 Peter 1:5-7
Who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, 7 so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
4. We Have Resounding Hope That Echoes Through Eternity
1 Peter 1:8-12
8 Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him, you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, 9 obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls. 10 Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, 11 inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. 12 It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look.
- Trust God with your future and make Jesus your King
- Praise Him for the security of your present and your future
- Commit to tell your story this week and share the hope of Jesus
- 1 Peter 1:1-2 connects to our obedience and His blood to strengthen purpose in trials. Why is it important that we trust and obey God in seasons of trial?
- The first word in 1 Peter 1:3 is “blessed” which means “praise”. Share stories of praise in how God has proven Himself faithful in your life.
- Read 1 Peter 1:7 and share how your faith has been tested. In those moments how did you grow in your faith?
- 1 Peter 1:13-15 compares our old life and challenges us to live like Jesus. Share and celebrate how Jesus has changed your life.
- Read 1 Peter 1:16-18. Why does our conduct matter to God?
- Share ways that you can show your love to others using more than just words.