October 18, 2020
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Consume the Word
1 Peter 2:1-3
So put away all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander. Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation—if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.
II. Come To Jesus
1 Peter 2:4-6
As you come to him, a living stone rejected by men but in the sight of God chosen and precious, you yourselves like living stones are being built up as a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For it stands in Scripture: “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious, and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.”
III. Coming From Two Camps
1 Peter 2:7-8
So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone,” and “A stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense.” They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do.
IV. Connection of Community
1 Peter 2:9-10
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. Once you were not a people, but now you are God’s people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.
I will sow her in the land for Myself, and I will have compassion on No Compassion; I will say to Not My People: You are My people, and he will say, “You are My God.”
Coming To Jesus Changes What We Chase
- Confess Jesus as my Savior and Lord and serve Him as King.
- Commit to daily consume His Word.
- Come to the table as one family of faith.
- Read Psalm 34:8 and share how specifically you have experienced the goodness of God in your life.
- Read 1 Peter 2:7-8 and discuss how some view Jesus as a stumbling block. How can we help others see Him for who He is?
- How can the common ground encouraged in 1 Peter 2:9-10 build unity where there is division?
- What does honor mean, and why is it important?
- As a family, spend time tracing artwork and discuss what 1 Peter 2:21 teaches us about copying the example Christ has set for us?
- How does the health of our relationship with God impact our relationship with others?