October 25, 2020
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. Serve As a Sojourner
1 Peter 2:11-12
Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul. Keep your conduct among the Gentiles honorable, so that when they speak against you as evildoers, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day of visitation.
Our identity must impact fences we build and roads we travel
II. Submit to Authority
1 Peter 2:13-17
Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.
Putting God first will change every relationship
III. The Steps of Jesus Are a Pattern to Follow
1 Peter 2:18-25
Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust. For this is a gracious thing, when, mindful of God, one endures sorrows while suffering unjustly. For what credit is it if, when you sin and are beaten for it, you endure? But if when you do good and suffer for it you endure, this is a gracious thing in the sight of God. For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.
Give Honor To God By Demonstrating Honor To Others
- I confess I am a sinner and put my trust in Jesus as Savior and Lord.
- I commit to follow Jesus’ example and honor others.
- I recognize my need to better align the priority of my earthly relationships.
- 1 Peter 2:11-13 speaks to our conduct. How can the boundaries we create for our conduct create a legalistic attitude?
- In light of our current cultural climate, how can we express loyalty to our country without it overtaking the need to keep Jesus first in our life?
- How has Jesus modeled the type of conduct we should demonstrate each day?
- Discuss as a family how you have chosen to share roles and responsibilities, and why it makes a difference for a healthy family.
- Read Ephesians 5:21 and discuss how each member of the family needs to submit to one another.
- How can a family that puts Christ first impact culture for good?