April 15, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Jesus specializes in the impossible
Then the king of Sodom, the king of Gomorrah, the king of Admah, the king of Zeboiim, and the king of Bela (that is, Zoar) went out and lined up for battle in the Siddim Valley 9 against King Chedorlaomer of Elam, King Tidal of Goiim, King Amraphel of Shinar, and King Arioch of Ellasar—four kings against five. 10 Now the Siddim Valley contained many asphalt pits, and as the kings of Sodom and Gomorrah fled, some fell into them, but the rest fled to the mountains. 11 The four kings took all the goods of Sodom and Gomorrah and all their food and went on. 12 They also took Abram’s nephew Lot and his possessions, for he was living in Sodom, and they went on.
II. Drop to your knees when you’re caught in the crossfire
One of the survivors came and told Abram the Hebrew, who lived near the oaks belonging to Mamre the Amorite, the brother of Eshcol and the brother of Aner. They were bound by a treaty with Abram.
III. The battle isn’t over until God shows up
When Abram heard that his relative had been taken prisoner, he assembled his 318 trained men, born in his household, and they went in pursuit as far as Dan. 15 And he and his servants deployed against them by night, defeated them, and pursued them as far as Hobah to the north of Damascus. 16 He brought back all the goods and also his relative Lot and his goods, as well as the women and the other people.
• I realize it’s impossible to get to Heaven on my own. Today, I prayed for Jesus to change my life for the first time.
– I’m going through the crossfire right now. Please pray for me.
+ I will wait for Jesus to meet me in the middle of my next impossible circumstance.
- What is the most difficult circumstance you’ve ever experienced?
- Did you turn to God during that circumstance? Did God act the way that you expected?
- Sometimes God leads people into impossible circumstances. How can impossible circumstances grow your faith?
- Read Matthew 19:26. If this verse is true, can you really call any circumstance “impossible”?
- Has there ever been a time when a family member put you in a no-win situation? How did you respond?
- Why is it so hard to wait for God to show up when we’re caught in an impossible situation?
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to sustain you no matter how difficult this week becomes.