September 18, 2022
Pastor Ricky Smith
I. We Will Remember
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
A weekly rhythm of rest reminds us whose we are and why we are here
II. Work By God’s Design
Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates.
The Sabbath is Set Apart By God For Us To Remember and Rest In Him
The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath
III. Will We Follow God’s Example?
For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Therefore, let us fear lest, while a promise remains of entering His rest, any one of you should seem to have come short of it… Since therefore it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience, He again fixes a certain day, “Today,” saying through David after so long a time just as has been said before, “Today if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts.” …There remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God. For the one who has entered His rest has himself also rested from his works, as God did from His. Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall through following the same example of disobedience.
Our practice of rest reminds us of our eternal rest in the future
- I confess and repent of my sin to step into eternal rest with Jesus as my King.
- I confess I must change my habits to better honor Sabbath rest.
- I commit to spending quality time with loved ones and resting one day this week.
- How can legalism about Sabbath keeping be avoided?
- Is there someone who honors Sabbath well that you could learn from? To whom can you pass it on?
- Read Hebrews 4:1-11 and discuss how weekly Sabbath prepares us for eternal rest.
- Are family dinners a priority in your home? Why or why not?
- Read Exodus 20:12-17. Which commandment do you think is most important and why?
- How should our society better honor one another