June 26, 2022
Pastor Alan Smith
I. God-Given Plan
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Tell the people of Israel to turn back and encamp in front of Pi-hahiroth, between Migdol and the sea, in front of Baal-zephon; you shall encamp facing it, by the sea. For Pharaoh will say of the people of Israel, ‘They are wandering in the land; the wilderness has shut them in.’ And I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will pursue them, and I will get glory over Pharaoh and all his host, and the Egyptians shall know that I am the Lord.” And they did so.
A. God’s Ways Are Not Our Ways
B. Always for God’s Glory
God’s plan for our life is for His Glory, regardless of our circumstances
II. God-Given Test
When Pharaoh drew near, the people of Israel lifted up their eyes, and behold, the Egyptians were marching after them, and they feared greatly. And the people of Israel cried out to the Lord. They said to Moses, “Is it because there are no graves in Egypt that you have taken us away to die in the wilderness? What have you done to us in bringing us out of Egypt? Is not this what we said to you in Egypt: ‘Leave us alone that we may serve the Egyptians’? For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the wilderness.” And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”
A. Called People Are Tested
B. Passing the Test
III. God-Given Trust
Thus the Lord saved Israel that day from the hand of the Egyptians, and Israel saw the Egyptians dead on the seashore. Israel saw the great power that the Lord used against the Egyptians, so the people feared the Lord, and they believed in the Lord and in his servant Moses.
God puts us to the test to give us the opportunity to show trust and loyalty to Him.
- I am not a follower of God, but I want to know more.
- I’m in the midst of a test, pray for me to not fear and to stand firm
- God has delivered me through a test and I will share this hope with others
- Compare Exodus 14 with Genesis 2. What are the similarities?
- Read Matthew 4:1-11, How did Jesus pass the test of the wilderness?
- What is the difference between a test and temptation? See James 1:12-15
- What is your favorite worship song or hymn of all time?
- Read Ephesians 5:19 and discuss why different types of songs are helpful in worship.
- Read Mark 8:34-35 and discuss how worship might be much more than music.